Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Rae Resign? Or Has Just His Ethics?

I am not going as far as some, particularly Liberal Outsider in demanding Rae resign; but I do see and feel the same feelings of disgust towards a, sadly, potential Leader of the Liberal Party.

I do not see Rae disobeying or in conflict with the strict word of the Liberal Party's "Rules and Procedures," or with the Constitution of the LPC; but I know Bob Rae in funding the NDP, especially in a riding where we lost by around 800 votes, then running as a candidate is ethically wrong.

For a detailed account of what exactly I am referring to you can visit my previous post here or visit The Northern Liberal, Liberal Outsider, Canadian Cerberus, Calgary Grit, Naylor's take,
Far And Wide, Wonk Blog, Fuddle Duddle, A View From The Left, Yes Another Liberal Blog, and Cherniak on Politics.

First and foremost I think Bob Rae has to answer for what he did. A statement explaining his actions. Then if he admits that he made those contributions which Elections Canada says he did, there should be an inquiry by the National Returning Officer into that conduct.

Any Liberal who brushes this off did not fight in the last election. I fought in a riding where $300 dollars would have meant life and death.

I may be sentimental but I look to officials in the Party for inspiration, afterall I am arguing for them in debates, door-knocking, and in every chance I get. I can't respect Bob Rae. The last election is muddled by Bob Rae's actions, and furthermore he's tarnishing the Liberal Leadership race by his arrogance in thinking he can do what he's done.

Bob Rae has to answer for what he did, if he doesn't and wins; I'll mail him my Liberal Membership Card, because I won't be needing it and certainly it's older then the one he has.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here, here. If Rae wins, I will not renew my membership, I will not donate and I will not vote Liberal.

3:37 PM  
Blogger Monkey Loves to Fight said...

I whole heartedly agree here. I also think Joe Volpe should have quit after the whole kiddy donations scam. If we want to win the next election, we need a leader who has very little for Harper to attack him on. The next election must be about presenting our ideas and attacking Harper's not playing defensive the whole election like we did in the last one.

3:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bob Rae = David Emerson.

3:51 PM  
Blogger thescottross.blogspot.com said...

Any Liberals who feel Bob Rae should resign for contributing to the NDP in the last election go sign this petition: http://www.PetitionOnline.com/Bobrae/

4:01 PM  
Blogger thescottross.blogspot.com said...

Any Liberals who feel Bob Rae should resign for contributing to the NDP in the last election go sign this petition: http://www.PetitionOnline.com/Bobrae/

4:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you an idot? All kinds of Canadians who are members of parties or not make all kinds donations to other parties and candidates for other parties. A little search instead of a vendetta would find some very interesting cross-donating. In fact it is one of Canada's democratic principles in bringing the financing provisions of the Canada elections act to encourage people who do not wish to join or pariticpate in party to sill support candidates for what ever reason they chose.

4:02 PM  
Blogger Daniel Mosely said...

Yes Anonymous I know Canadian's in political parties make cross donations.

Just a helpful hint, you degrade your argument with name calling.

But I dare you to find any potential leaders of those parties who contributed to another party.

Oh wait there is one, Bob Rae.

Could you follow a leader who had so much faith in his Party that he contributes to another Party?

Or that he contributed to one just a few months prior?

4:24 PM  
Blogger Trogdor said...

Hey, isn't Bob Rae the guy who nearly sunk the province of Ontario in the mid 90's?

His previous record as a politician is what Liberals should be focusing on, not his previous donations.

5:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

THis is such an idiotic tempest in a teapot. If you guys persist in making it bigger, you will do untold damage to the party and to its efforts to renew itself.

7:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home